How to Prepare Tempeh – Part I
If you aren’t eating tempeh, you should be.
Tempeh is an excellent plant-based protein choice. Heres’ why:
- It’s made from the soybean, which is a complete protein (just like meat). If you get organic tempeh, you are certain to be clear of any GMO soy, so no need to worry about that.
- It’s fermented, which is so good for your gut because the fermentation process increases good bacteria which gives tempeh probiotic super powers!
- It is promoted by many health professionals:
- Tempeh: A Fermented Soybean with Many Probiotic Benefits – https://draxe.com/tempeh/
- The 9 Best Fermented Foods for Your Gut – https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/the-9-best-fermented-foods-for-your-gut/
- The World’s Healthiest Foods: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=126
- Tempeh is healthier – https://nutritionfacts.org/video/tofu-vs-tempeh-2/
- It’s easy to prepare.
- Loads of protein, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, B6 and more!
There are many different brands that are good. One of of my favorites is Organic Lightlife.
Here is a super easy recipe to help you make tempeh at home.
- 1 package of Lightlife tempeh
- 2 Tbsp oil (or use 4 Tbsp of water or vegetable stock)
- 2 Tbsp of Tamari (leave this out if you need to reduce your sodium intake)
Take the block of tempeh, turn it so the long side is horizontal.
Make two cuts up and down (vertically), so you have 3 same-size squares.
Take each square, turn it on it's edge and slice it lengthwise, down the center, like you would a bagel.
In a saute pan, add the oil and the tempeh and heat on med-hi for approximately 4 minutes or until the tempeh starts to brown.
Flip the squares!
Add the Tamari and heat for approximately 2 more minutes.
Add water if the oil or tamari start to reduce too much.
Remove from heat, serve and eat immediately!
It's really that easy.
I’ll get more recipes up here for you so you can really see just how darn good tempeh is! If you want to try breaded tempeh, check out my other recipe here.
Or go check out my YouTube video on how to bake Tempeh! Click here!